| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,361 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | You will want to run some intercooling if you are going to push more than about 6 psi into a 235. The combustion chamber is kind of a funny shape and doesn't handle a high intake charge temperature too well. You may also need to reinforce the head gasket with an o-ring setup.
I would use a 261 head (casting number 3836850) on a 235 since it has 0.5 lower compression, and put in hardened valve seats and stellite valves. I would use the big bypass thermostat from a 261 and drill the steam holes in the block from the head. 261's have additional holes between the block and head to cool the head better, since the cylinder walls are siamesed.
Convert the block to full flow oiling and add a good ignition system and you should make decent power even with a stock cam.
I did some calculations and research a while ago and I figured I could do about 225 horsepower with my 261 and a supercharger with about 6 lbs of boost and have it still live long. That would be fun street power without worrying about it blowing up.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
| |
| |