Thank you for all the comments. I spoke to a guy at a car show this last weekend who has a 57 pickup and he said that it was sooo much trouble installing the air conditioning that he would not do it if he had to do it all over again. I think that I'll reconsider the air also.
The guy at the car show does not know what he is talking about. A/C is made up of individual components. A compressor mounted to a 350 is as easy as it gets. The rest of the under hood components are mounted with brackets on rad crossover (condenser) and on fender (drier). The inside is old school evaporator/blower motor or fancy aftermarket evaporator/blower with ducting...... bolted to dash and maybe a firewall support. It's all just hosed together. None of it is a big effort.
If you use a vintage old school hang down, you can use 134, no problem, because everything that matters is new and 134 compatible.
This example is a complete under dash kit showing the necessary components. Just showing what is involved, not much. You can buy the components anywhere and possibly save money. When you are done, you take it to a shop and they will leak test, evacuate and fill with Freon. That part is needed no matter what you buy.
I see the same (Amazon) Coldmaster unit on Ebay for $448 free ship. Don't know quality. They use a Sanden "style" compressor. A genuine Sanden 508 is best. It is the heart of AC. The other components are "static" and do not fail much.
Not too many trucks with more room under hood and under dash than a TF.
With the Vintage air $1500 style units, you are paying for the custom designed tucked away, under dash feature. I'm sure their components are quality. Lot of money for center passenger comfort. The hang down is actually more period correct.