Thanks for the replies.
I ended up taking off the carburetor (Rochester) and giving it a good cleaning and making sure the float was free. There was some sediment on the bottom of the bowl.
I replaced the carb and it started with no problem. I made some adjustments and allowed it to idle for about 3 minutes. I then drove it on some level streets for about 1 1/2 miles, stopping for stop signs and traffic signal and encountered no problems, so I decided to take on the hill. It climbed the hill like a champ and made it easily. I was dismayed, however, when I came to a stop sign about 1/4 mile from crest of the hill and on level ground and it stalled. It started and I drove it another 1/4 mile and as I was turning into my driveway it stalled again. From this point on, the engine would stall if I left up on the accelerator to go to idle.
I think this may be a float issue, and may attack the problem from that angle. But making the hill was a mini victory