So i replaced a head gasket on a 261 while doing some paint removal nearby with an angle grinder and braided wire brush. When i went to button up the head, i wiped down the cylinders and pistons tops. It was late, so i put off the gasket installation until the next day. When i wiped the bores down a very small piece of that wire wheel must have landed in the bore, and when I wiped the bore it fell into the top ring and between the cylinder wall. It was 38 feet long. (actually It was less than 1/16”).

Next morning, i sealed up the head and forgot to blow or vacuum out that small piece of debris.

So...what to do? I think i know the answer...but do i pull the head and try to find and remove it? Will this piece do some damage? Or exhaust out? And get caught in a valve? I know, a head gasket is cheaper than a scored piston wall but still want to know what the experts think.

Thoughts?

Last edited by tom moore; 07/16/2019 6:12 PM.

1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery