Went out in the truck and it broke down traced the problem to lack of spark. Changed the coil and it started up and ran fine. I was running the truck on the drive and noticed the replacement coil was getting hot. When I bought the truck it had a Petronix ignition and coil. I think this may be pulling the coil to ground more than it should causing it to overheat.

Questions

1) I noticed that the Petronix igniter is picking up directly from the distributor cam and doesn’t have a magnet ring. I don’t think this is normally but I don’t know. Anyone had this problem or has the same arrangement?

2) I am a bit confused about the make of distributor I think I have a Delco unit but are there different types. I’m going to buy a new Petronix igniter and want to ensure I get the correct one.

Thanks Regards Chris
Attachments
BFD5A3F0-AE8B-4D74-AA69-D9917CBE67CD.jpeg (165.32 KB, 228 downloads)