My 1958 Apache with a 283 slips out of 3rd while under acceleration. The transmission is a three speed out of 1967 camaro. It was rebuilt by a professional. I have attempted to set up per the assembly and shop manuals. I believe the setup is the cause of the problem, however I am not certain.
I have several questions. The assembly manual says the shift lever should be horizontal when in neutral, does horizontal mean level? When horizontal the tabs in the control box on the steering column are over to the passenger side. The assembly manual says the lever should be measured 8.5 inches from the center line of the steering wheel up the shift lever. Then 3.75 from the lever to the bottom of the steering wheel. My steering wheel is not smooth. It is a 58\59 variety. What am I missing here? How critical is the setup?