In trying to update the title to my 1952 3100 AD I’ve hit on a flaw in the state DMV registration system. Texas uses ONLY motor numbers on titles that predate the standard VIN system. I have owned the truck since 1980. At some point my truck had the original 216 engine replaced with a 235 and the title was noted as “engine changed”. The stamp by the distributor is F0620J and that is the number the state insists I use on the title. All that number means is that the engine was made in Flint on June,20 and was going out as a “base” model as indicated by the J. The original door panel is still readable but the state refuses to use that number since it is not a standard VIN. My questions
1) Do other states use this same rule?
2) Since there were certainly other 235s made in Flint on the same date (no year indicator) do any of you know of trucks (or cars) carrying the same motor number-especially if in Texas. (Motor # F0620J)
If I can convince them there could be vehicles with the same number I might be able to challenge their silly system.