Originally Posted by Tight_linesFL
Thank you guys for the input. It looks like someone already tried to fix this problem at some point. I dont really have much to template off of. But, I'm pretty handy and think I can make something work. This is literally the only rust through on the whole front end that I got so if I have to take some time to make it look right I dont mind.



The issue I see in your fenders is that the mounting flange has rusted all the way to the corner. You cannot realistically weld a flange to the corner as when (not if) the weld shrinks, it will pull that corner inward with little recourse to correct, and more than likely, not consistently. So I would see such a repair looking like the Atlantic Ocean on that crease. If you wanted to save that fender, you could make some pieces with a folded flange both directions (call it a sheet metal angle, if you will) and use shrinker/stretcher to match existing contour. When trimming to the fender, locate the seam about 1/2" to an inch out from the corner of the mounting flange (as shown in my attached picture)


http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rmccartney/stovebolt%20fender.png

This puts the weld seam out where you can planish to negate the shrinking effects that WILL occur.

Or find another fender..




Last edited by MPandC; 02/26/2019 2:48 PM.