Hello everyone, I purchased a 1954 Chev 3100 truck and working on replacing all the braking system components. Rear brakes completed including new wheel cylinders springs, shoes, adjusters, and axle seals. Now working on the front brakes, then newbrake master cyliner.
When I removed the front axle hub nut dust cover, to my surprise I found that there were no Kotter pins on both castle nuts! Wow! Also I see a sticky substance on the inside of the drum that looks like it's from the wheel bearing grease - all I can think of is the wromg grease was used (non-high temp) and the grease ran out of the bearings. The wheel cylinder looks dry - so I don't think it's brake fluid. The rubber brake line hoses are cracked, so I'm replacing them along with wheel cylinders and all brake hardware, including the adjusters.
Just thought I would share that it's a good idea to do a thurough check over when you buy a new vehicle!