Once the bypass valve is removed, a small putty knife or a gasket scraper removes the O ring easily. That's how I was taught to do it when I got my first job outside the family shop in 1962, pumping gas and doing oil changes and tire repairs at a Shell service station. I worked after school 5 days a week, and had alternate Saturdays or Sundays off on the weekends. Kinda rough on the social life, but I had a 47 Ford business coupe to feed and insure! It wasn't uncommon to find two gaskets in there!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!