In the FWIW category, I have all of the EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE experience with Webers that I EVER plan on having. Trailered race car using 4 cylinder. $1800. worth of a Weber IDA couldn't compete with a $5. swap meet Autolite 2100. And I even paid to have a "Weber racing expert" redo my failure. He couldn't make it work any better than I did. I would rather have a Rochester B wink than another *&^%$#@ Weber!

The Zenith 28 and 228 carbs, on the other hand, are excellent. As to being worn out??? maybe, if the carburetor had more than 500k miles. Virtually bullet-proof.

Mike mentioned that sometimes older carbs need to have plugs removed, and the passages cleaned, and no supplier of the plugs.

Well, the plugs ARE available mail order, however; think outside the box. Those of you that are fishermen are aware of lead split shot sinkers. Zenith used lead balls. And a split shot sinker is nothing more than a lead ball with a slot. Use a sinker maybe 1/3 larger diameter than the passage, and a drift punch, and you can plug the hole.

Probably the biggest issue with the Zenith is the accelerator pump check valves. These are pressed in, and require a special tool (that can be made quicker than the time I typed this post). But they are brass. Wash them in-place with gasoline, test, and if they don't leak (and they probably won't) don't change them.

Yes, for race only vehicles where the cost of the repair is a signed blank check; the race Webers can be made to run really well. But I am still not sure that I cannot make the same power out of a common American-made carb (except for 1G + cornering). And on the street, no comparison.

Jon.


Last edited by carbking; 08/28/2018 11:24 PM.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop