I took the sage advice of several members earlier this week and bought a new harmonic balancer for my 250. The good news is I can now time my engine because the mark is in the correct location.

The bad news is that when I drove the balancer on the crankshaft, it hit the timing cover at about the same time that it bottomed on the crank's timing gear (per the Haynes manual instructions). I'm a little scared of this arrangement with no bolt, but I used the puller to back it off enough to clear the cover.

After starting the engine, I noticed that the new balancer wobbles enough to still scrape the timing cover/oil pan lip. The wobble goes away at speed.

Should I pull the balancer a little farther away from the cover, or should I go demand my $95 back?

My brother is a diesel mechanic and his suggestion is to carefully locate the high side of the balancer and then whack it with a big hammer to shift the outer ring on the rubber. I think he's too used to working with very large parts. However it is easier than taking the radiator out again.

Any help would be appreciated.


marshall

If it ain't broke, It ain't mine.