| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (‘37ChevyPU, Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, CuzzFuzz, Shaffer's1950, SlimSix, TrknGMC, 1 invisible),
81
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,451 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2018 Posts: 3 | Yeah, from what I have learned the "big hole" in the pan was retained for the 4WD models as well as 2WD models. Cost savings I guess. You can buy a better pan for big $$ or modify or reconstruct if you are handy. Or just live with it. Another "buzz kill" for me is all the plastic used on the engine. I recently heard that GM did produce an aluminum valve cover for this engine in certain years and am hoping they offered an aluminum intake as well.
Apparently GM had no specific vision for other uses of this engine which is a shame after doing so much involved engineering to make it a success. Given the low cost when bought at the local Pic a Part type scrap yards and the advanced technology it still remains a very interesting option for a rod, for me at least. I am trying to come up with a sturdy manual trans for the 4200. I really want a manual trans for road use. According to folklore the manual trans available for the 4 cyl and 5 cyl models did not hold up to even the 5 cyl output and was eventually available only for the 4cyl. Two other choices are a Corvette man trans and a Supra trans, neither is a cheap option though.
So I am weeding through all the info I am able to collect and helpful advice is what I am hoping for.
Randy | | |
| |
| |