Hello. I hope everyone has survived winter unscathed. FULL DISCLOSURE: This question has nothing to do with an old truck (which is why I'm posting in the Tools forum; and, it involves a tool selection), but the response may help someone trying to do something similar with an old truck.
I'm overhauling a submersible pump (seals, bearings, etc.). When replacing the ball bearings (see picture), the manual says to "heat the bearings until the inner race reaches a temperature of 230°F and the inner diameter expands. Then quickly press bearings on the shaft before bearings start to cool and contract. Temperatures in excess of 230°F can degrade the bearing grease."
I'm wondering what's the best tool for heating the inner race, and how to know when it's near, but not above, 230 degrees F. I know a torch is a common approach. I have a small butane torch for sweating copper pipes.
Could I put the entire bearing assembly in a properly heated oven? Thanks for any ideas.