I just removed the double-action lever shocks from my 1949 3100, for what I believe could be the first time since the truck was new. The part numbers on the end caps match what I've read to be correct for double-action (Front 1730-A/B, Rear 1731-T/U). I believe the shocks have the full range of motion, but they only provide resistance in one direction, as if they were single-action. I've searched all the old posts and not found any pictures of what the internals look like. The pictures in the shop manual don't appear to represent the shocks I have, so I'm not sure what the problem might be. They show no signs of leaks, so I'd really prefer to not take them open and risk breaking something.
My questions for you experts out there:
- Can just being low on fluid cause them to act like single-action?
- It seems the slotted plug would be for filling, and the hex-headed plug for draining. Since I can't get the slotted plugs out, can I fill them using the drain plug?
[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApKXWJxDpPpus-4gCx87nu0yIOmjUQ[/img]
[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApKXWJxDpPpus-4fdpflqqItyQrKmw[/img]
Thanks for any help,
Greg