Hello. In a post a few weeks ago, somebody said my problem could be due to "soft motor mounts". That problem has been solved, but now I'm trying to find my motor mounts to inspect them. Justhorsenround narrowed it down for me, and I believe I've found the rear mounts, but I'm not sure about the front mounts.

Also, there are these other "mounts" that I wonder what they are.

I've attached 3 pictures, and the views are kind of progressive, so I'll lead you through them in order.

The first picture is looking under the front of the truck (probably obvious). Directly beneath the radiator you'll see two U-shaped steel supports sandwiched between two "cross members". The rubber cushion or bushing is missing from the left one and crispy on the right one. What are these supporting, and is the missing rubber a big safety or mechanical concern?

The second picture is a view from underneath the first picture, looking up at the cross member. The two bolts on the left are in the U-shaped brackets, and a different view of the missing or crispy rubber bushings. On the right of this picture are 4 bolts, and I think this is where my motor mounts are? Can someone please confirm?

The last picture is a view of the 4 bolts on the right of the previous picture, from the back side. You can see the front of the bottom of the oil pan. If the motor mounts are here, they're enclosed by a piece of metal and not readily accessible for inspection. Should I need to remove some covers in order to inspect my motor mounts?

And finally, what is meant by "soft motor mounts"? I think I found the rear mounts, and they're very rigid rubber (I think), Does "soft" really mean not firm, or does it mean not properly secured?
Attachments
CrossMember230.jpg (226.03 KB, 110 downloads)
BoltsUnderCrossMember190.jpg (191.95 KB, 110 downloads)
MotorMounts285.jpg (284.92 KB, 107 downloads)

Last edited by Ol' Red; 10/24/2017 5:46 AM.

DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216