| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,344 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 | Finished my headliner after two 3 hour Saturdays. Had to be the most difficult install to date. These are my now professional pointers. I'm working on a 49 3600. I removed the front window trims. Pulled the windlace out at the top front half. Just where it covers the liner. There was no way I was going to get the liner in the window rubber so I didn't. I don't see any reason to either. I used the windlace to hold the ends up while I put some screws in some 6" long wood shims in the center section to hold it in the correct location. Screwed to the bow in the roof. Didn't use any ammonia water except when I unrolled the pieces. Didn't need it during the install. After getting a few center screws in the middle and a few each way. I worked the liner into shape on one end. I'm sure I didn't have the correct liner for my 49 so I trimmed the front and made new notches for the screws and reinstalled the window trim on one side. Most of the screws found the holes but two had to be redrilled. Then did the same on the other side. At this point the liner is covering the windlace track so I pushed the liner up into position and carefully trimmed the sides till it fit tight above the track. Then reinstalled the windlace on both sides. I used the floating center bow and carefully pushed it into position behind the liner. It's too long for my truck so I cut both sides till it rested on the top of the windlace track. Then fit it into the liner. Start one side and then drill and screw it in position with one screw low enough so the windlace rubber will cover it. If you dont. Your not going to get the bow in place. After drilling and screwing the bow in position on both ends check for fit. Remove the screws and remove the bow and put it on the back liner. Tape it on from the TOP SIDE or your not going to get it back on the front liner. It will just come off and you will not be able to get it back in the track. Now pull out the windlace in the rear section on both sides. Take the rear liner with the bow taped in place and get it into position centered. At this time your going to be glad you pre-fit the bow on the front liner. Carefully install the liner and bow into the front bow. Then screw the bow in place. Now you just need to work it into place and screw in the back bow. Do this while pressing the liner forward. Trim only to locate the screw holes. Now just take a razor knife and trim the ends while pressing the liner up till it sets tight against the windlace track. Replace the windlace track and your done.
I'm glad I used the wrong liner for my truck because I was able to trim it where needed and didn't have any places that were short. One thing I left out. Wash your hands to remove anything that will stain or leave a shinny spot.
This was my first experience with this install
Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
| | |
| |
| |