I have a friend who put a 283 in a '46 when he was in high shool 30+ years ago, and still drives the truck. He used a 3-speed and rear-end from a late 50's Chevy car.

In the same time frame, but long before I met this guy, I put a 283 and a powerglide in a '41. The '41 and '46 are the same truck. I didn't buy a kit, but used '55-'57 type front mounts with a homemade front crossmember. If I were doing it again I'd buy one of the saddle type engine mount crossmembers that are available mail order.

I had steering/exhaust clearance issues on mine.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...