mike, I run an HEI system in my '57 3600 with a 235. I used Deve's guide to build it myself. I am very happy with it and am especially comfortable that it uses a standard GM 4 pin module so that it it ever acts up, I can get a replacement for about $20 at any FLAPS. Below is a link. Deve gives great instructions for guys like me that want to do all the fabricating themselves. It is very easy to build. I have built two additional of his HEI systems for a couple 261's that have been built for projects that are currently under construction.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/HEIgnition

The system uses a 'real' 12 volt coil, not one labeled as 12 volt that is really 6 as are most used on 12 volt systems with points. I use an MSD Blaster 2 coil.

I share the above for a couple reasons. One, you are correct that you will not need a ballast resistor. In fact, you don't want one. For my installation, I bridged the terminals with a jumper so it is still on the firewall but is bypassed with the jumper.

Second, since the coil is a true 12 volt coil that is getting 12 volts from the ignition switch, you don't need the side terminal connection from the stomp starter switch to the coil. I disconnected that wire as part of my installation. So your stomp starter with a switch that does not have the side connection will work just fine.

I use a ballast resistor on my run stand, but that is probably a judgment call. Engines run for such short periods of time on the run stands that there is probably very little risk of burning out points if you skip the ballast resistor. I just don't take the chance...and I want to test an engine in a 'live' environment. Probably an unnecessary and over-cautious step on my part.

Matt