I also like manual transmissions. I prefer them.
I have a lot of info about the Borg Warner T5 on my website. I'm not sure how available they are in Scotland.
If I disagree with Hotrod Lincoln, he may never speak to or help me ever again. LOL! Just kidding.
A 1993 or earlier S10 T5 will have a Muncie bolt pattern and should bolt right up to your bell. That's the easy part. You can swap the 14 spline input shaft for a 10 spline input shaft and keep your factory clutch.
Now things can get a little tricky. It really depends on what you want for your final result.
If you want to keep your factory cable style speedometer - you will have 3 options. 1. Use a Camaro tail housing (they all have a cable style connection). 2. Buy a VSS converter for around $300. 3. Find the extremely rare 1988 and earlier S10 T5 tail housing with a cable speedo connection.
If you have more modern gauges with a VSS input, then things are easier to solve. Or just run a GPS driven speedometer for the simplest solution of all.
I have no experience with the NV3500 or NV4500 transmissions. My understanding is they have a fairly low first gear but so does the S10 T5.
Other options are the 1992 and earlier Camaro or Firebird T5.
Thanks for chiming in Sir,as you'll see by my response to Jerry I was basically trying to avoid getting into the minefield of bellhousing,pilot shaft and clutch swaps etc,the matter of the speedo drive wouldn't be too hard as I already have an electronic one.
Fwiw relatively common vehicles on your side of the pond are considered rare,unusual and collectable here so consequently parts and components fetch ridiculous sums of money.
Even a basic 4 speed manual can get upwards of $1100 for a high mileage one that would/could benefit from a rebuild!
I was kind of hoping for a scenario where I could pull the whole kit and kaboodle from one single vehicle and simply replace the TH350C/flexplate etc in mine.
Looks like i'll just need to suck it up,hook up the lock up converter meantime and see what turns up,an NV3500 trans might be an easier/cheaper alternative for me if one happens to show up this on side of the pond.
Many thanks for your help/advice and your links provided some very interesting/educational reading.
I never thought for one minute i'd be asking on an American site about manual swaps given your countrys love of auto transmissions!
