This week I decided to check the condition of the Pontiac 224.1 cubic inch motor that was the original engine in this Canadian built GMC. It turns out the engine was rebuilt but never started. It was left outdoors with no cover on the carb. Being in the dry climate of Alberta means that about 12 inches of rain fell each year so after 10 or 15 years a lot of water went down the carb.
I tried to turn the engine by hand but of course that didn't happen. I drained the oil and because water is denser than oil I got about 3.5 quarts of water out of the crankcase before the oil started flowing.
Water from crankcaseNext I pulled the cylinder head and here's what I found.
Number 3 and 5 cylinders are full of mud and water.After talking to my local machinist, relining those cylinders (maybe only #5) may be the way to go if I want to keep this engine. The intake valves and seats are also in bad shape but everything else is like new.
The question of the day. Should I sink 600-800 dollars into an engine that probably makes 30 H.P. (85 bhp.)? I kind of like the idea of having the original engine but I do intend to drive this vehicle and that engine may not cut it.
I need to rent a cherry picker to get the engine out and decide what I want to do with it.
Wish me luck!