Sorry to be so scattered with the cooling issues, if I recall, when I had the 180 deg thermo it would not open in time before spewing coolant out the discharge line; that's when I changed to a 160 deg and 7lb cap. From there, the system operated correctly, but I did not have a chance to drive but a few miles before having to rebuild the transmission. During that time, I had bad luck with the Filling Station mechanical temp gauges for getting stuck all the way cold and one stuck all the way hot; this is the third gauge.
I have had this truck for 15 yrs, but this is the first time driving it; I still have not really found the reason why the PO stopped driving it since 1992 (last registration).
It has a new Jim Carter radiator, hose, etc. the engine is a 59' 235 with a 848 head.


I want to confirm, I am starting to think it may be a temp gauge problem? I am having a hard time believing it will rise to 220, hold, but when I turn the truck off and re-start after a few seconds, it will immediately drop to 180. Is this an air pocket or bad gauge? This is the 3rd filling station gauge I have had to use
I will likely test it tonight by removing the sender and comparing in a jar of hot water with a secondary gauge

Any and all help is appreciated, we have some great minds on this site with many years of experience. I just gave this truck to my dad last Wednesday for his 69th birthday, but I want it right so it does not break down on him

Thaks again



1949 Chevrolet 3100 Suburban Carryall
"Bad Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

1950 Chevrolet 3100 3-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1966 GMC Suburban Carryall Custom
"Big Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket