Jon,

I was hoping you would happen to read my inquiry.

A little more information:
41 truck has a 1954 truck 235 using 1941 intake/exhaust manifolds and a Carter W-1. Carb rebuilt by reputable long time rebuilder (as stated from my engine rebuilder).

42 truck has a 1958 2 ton 235 truck engine and a Rochester B. Carb rebuilt by me.

Both have manual chokes, and both experience the lowering of idle speed with the choke all the way open at all times. Both carburetors are of unknown pedigree, and neither came with the engines they are currently on now.

I notice the condition on the 41 most as it gets driven more, and for longer durations. I don't have a tachometer but the idle seems approximately 50-100 RPM lower when fully warmed up, and most noticeably immediately after a long high RPM run on the highway (truck has 6.67 gears so it is pretty wound up even at 40 MPH). There is no real problem with the issue it has, but I just noticed that the idle is "different", and cant really understand why there would be a change in RPM. The fact that both trucks do the same thing in spite of different carburation peaked my interest. I hope you can help me (and others on the Stovebolt) understand what is happening.

Thanks in advance,

Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures