Chaz58, I was thinking about doing this under the hood with the engine installed. I'd use a 4 lb. short handle hand sledge instead of a 2 lb. ball peen. You'll be able to get the same force on the punch with less of a swing.

Here is an example of the hand sledge that I'm talking about. I have this hammer and find it very useful when I need some umph and don't have room for a good swing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-lb-fiberglass-drilling-hammer-61397.html

Here is a link to a post that discusses both how to move the dowel and Jerry's idea to use both a full flow and a bypass filter. You'll get to both subjects if you read through the entire thread. If you decide to use both, you don't need a spin-on filter. You can use the original full flow canister. Just use the same plumbing diagram as shown in the post.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1199078/1.htm

Matt