OK, so I feel pretty stupid asking about this, but I'm a bit worried my 3 speed shifter box may not be assembled properly and want to get this earlier rather than later if I have to.

So, I have never driven a column shift 3 speed, and understand the shift patter as follows:
Reverse - Towards driver and up
1st - Towards driver and down
2nd - Away from driver and up
3rd - Away from driver and down

This is confusing because the way the shifter box is assembled, the internal spring has the selector pushed into the 2nd-3rd gate while at rest. In this position, I wouldn't be able to pull the shifter towards the driver because the selector wouldn't move as it is already in the 2nd-3rd gate. The way the shifter is assembled, the shift patter would be as above, except 1st-Rev would be away from the driver and 2nd-3rd would be towards the driver.

What am I missing?

Thanks from this confused/frustrated bolter!