Purchased a new pilot bearing and before installing it I slipped it onto the nose of the input shaft to make sure it fit.
I also measured the outter diameter to compare with the old one I had removed. I was within 0.001 "
When i went to install it I had to really beat on the seal installer to get it to fit.
I went to install the tranny and found that the nose of the input shaft would not fit into the pilot bearing whereas it had fit on before when the tranny was out. I presume that due to the difficulty of the pilot bearing install that by forcing it into the crank shaft opening for it that somehow it compressed inward by that 0.001" causing the fit problem I am experiencing now.
Questions:
1....can I ream open the pilot bearing by 0.001 " of an inch and do it while it is still in the crank hole ? The hole is deep enough but not sure what the tolerance should be between the input shaft nose and the inner diameter of the pilot bearing ??? What specifically is the amount of tolerance ?
2.... Should these pilot bearings be that tight going in ??
.......If I have to remove the pilot bearing to open it up a bit I might as well buy another one.
I just hated to remove the pressure plate and if I do is it ok to use the same grade 8 bolts and washers ???


1953 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 speed 318 on floor and 1955 235 engine