What year 235 carb?

235s were used from 1941-1962/63.

I think the same intake/exhaust manifolds were used on both 216/235 engines through 1949.

The carburetor hole-diameter in the intake manifold changed in 1950, from then onwards, the 216 & 235 engines had different intake manifolds. And, they had different carburetor base sizes, and different carburetor mounting bolt distance/separation, and different carb-to-manifold gaskets.

The correct size carb-to-intake gasket should be used.
A gasket with a cut-out in the correct location should be used.
A gasket without the cut-out could be cut out (by the installer) in the correct location.

Just to complicate things (or, just to make things easier for mechanics/shops), I think that some carb-to-manifold gaskets were made to work on both size manifolds (and in any orientation).

I have a collection of carb to intake insulator plates/spacers (and gaskets). Some have little indentations in the "cut-outs" locations, and some do not. I use the appropriate size insulator/gasket (for the intake hole diameter, and attachment bolts) - and make sure the slot/cut-out/hole in the gasket matches the hole in the base of the carburetor. Some of the extra cut-out holes in the gasket will serve no purpose (but, will cause no problems). Some of my gaskets have no holes - presumably used by some people between the insulator and the intake manifold? I usually put no gasket in that location, unless there is a vacuum leak when using no gasket.