I seriously considered doing the same thing with my `51 3100. At the time I was tight on money. So I wanted an inexpensive way to lower the truck. I found 1 post that was either on this site or on the Inliners.org site. The post conveyed 2 things. 1. It was possible to remove 3 leafs from the spring packs and get aprox 2" of lowering. 2. It was recommended to take 1/2 the leafs from the right side spring and swap them with the left side spring. This would help even out the sag that occurs from old age.
In addition to this post, I learned about a product called Poly Slide Spring Liner. It is a poly-something material that it formed into a thin strip. It is very smooth and slick. It is typicaly black in color. I paid $11 a roll. And 1 roll will do 2 spring packs. Its job is to go between the leafs and provide slick surface for the leafs to move across when they flex. Thus allowing the springs to work more efficiently.
So, given all the above, I bought the liner and began dis-assembly of my front spring packs. I decided to remove 3 leafs. I kept the 2 longest leafs beacuse of the bends on the ends. I eliminated the shortest one. Then I eliminated the 2 leafs that had the riveted in clamps/bands. I decided to buy some aftermarket ones to replace them with.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Put the spring in a vise before removing the center pin. This way, you can slowly let off the vise and control the unspringing of the spring pack.
At this point, I was offered a deal on 4 monoleaf springs. So I bought the 4 monos and stopped working on the originals. I hope that some this helps you. If you do complete the process, please post back with your experience/opinions of how well it worked.