Looking for input on what direction I should go. This will be long winded as I want to give you guys what info you might need in order to give me your opinion on what way I should go.
What I have is a 1953, 5 window, 3100, with a 235 (3769716), built Sept. 21 1961 (1 2 1 1), cartridge style oil filter, oil bath air cleaner, Carter Y-F carb. With 3 on the tree, has been converted to 12V.
I have owned it for 17 years and drive it often. Not daily, but often. (I added seat belts and turn signals for that reason.) The body and frame are in good shape so no problems there. The engine suddenly started making a noise I don’t like so I’ve decided to do a rebuild. I haven’t been into the engine except to pull the valve cover and side plate so I don’t know what I’m going to find.
As long as I have it out, I figure now will be the time to make some changes.
I have had trouble with cooling during a low speed hot summer parade so I’m planning on lowering the radiator and possibly going to a 4 tube.
I’m thinking about going with Fenton headers and duel exhaust. (She really has all the power I need now, but it never hurts to breathe a little easier.)
Should I stick with the Carter carb. or look for a Rochester to be a little more original?
Some of the insulation on the wiring looks a little brittle and I’m thinking that while the engine is out it would be a lot easier to put in a new wiring harness.
The bed looks like old barn lumber so while I’m at it I’m going to replace it as well.
I thought about putting some chrome under the hood but decided against it. Just not into the Bling-Bling. I’m more of a ‘Just drove in off the ranch.’ kind of guy. Plus, I never show the truck, I just love to drive it.
Sorry this was so long. But it is your turn now. What do I need to watch out for? What do I need to do and what should I avoid doing? What are the pitfalls I need to avoid? A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.