Gunner,

Here's an article on cylinder sleeves in a trade publication:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/06/sleeves-liners/

I found it an interesting read. The method of actually getting the sleeve into the block is described. From what I've seen of the skill level or some engine "machinists" this isn't something I'd trust to just anyone.

Only once have I had a car engine block sleeved and it was done so skillfully that you'd never know there even was a sleeve installed.

Old school motorcycle engines also have sleeves. I once changed 2-stroke sleeve at home using my wife's oven to get different ports and different power delivery. That is much more difficult than installing a car engine sleeve. It's done by heating the jug and freezing the sleeve and there are literally only about 2 seconds available to correctly align the jug and sleeve ports before the temperatures equalize and the sleeve won't move.


Ray