1951 3100
I'm with Jerry on this one. We ran small blocks on the round tracks, some had 2 sleeves, some had more.
The 216 that came out of my 51, now has all six done. Bore was to far gone to go that far over-size on pistons, so we sleeved, and now we're back to standard. Cost was somewhere around $22 a sleeve. My machine shop guy says now, we can reuse the original cast iron pistons that came out of it.
Jerry can probably explain it better, but, in simple terms, you do not bore the cylinder all the way through. You only bore it the height/length of the sleeve, which leaves a ledge at the bottom of the cylinder bore, that the sleeve sits on. Once the head is installed, sleeve cannot possibly come out. There are, of course, very very close tolerances you have to adhere to. There's a little more to it than just dropping the sleeve in the bore. And Jerry may expand on this, but there are different designed sleeves, if I'm not mistaken. Seems like I remember some used to have a lip around the top edge.
But I have no problem using sleeves. Have all the confidence with doing mine this way.
Mike