Reinstalled the transmission sm420 and in preparation installed the gear shifter. What a sloppy mess! Upon inspection the "dowel pins" on the top of the Trans cover plate were worn right out. Well, being handy (cheap) I wanted to tighten the gear shift up so to speak so it didn't flop all over the place.
Here's what I did.
1. Plug inside of gear shift hole with clean rag.
2. Lightly grind the outside of dowel flush to cover.
3. Punch out the dowel pins.
4. Get a 5/16" bolt with a shoulder on it. Cut off head. Cut shoulder to proper length to match the dowel on the inside of gear shifter hole.
5. Drill the dowel hole out larger (17/64" if I remember) to accommodate a 5/16" tap. Place a small magnet inside of hole to catch filings with that clean rag under it.
6. Install the shouldered bolt from the inside of the gear shifter hole outwards. I used needle nose vice grips and applied loctite to ensure it is secure. Cut off extruding tails of bolts.
7. Test fit/adjust as necessary to tighten up fit.
8. When satisfied reinstall shifter to see how it feels.

I used grade 8 hardware

This was quite easy, fast and is adjustable to suit your taste as to how much wobble you want in your 4speed shifter.

Last edited by Fox; 11/28/2018 5:19 AM.

1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300