Originally Posted by Greg_H
I want to retain the torque tube design as it is a hydra-matic truck so a later rear end as a whole is out of the question I think.

The axles are currently en route to my shop. The last time I did the 6 to 5 lug conversion, I seem to recall that only one hole actually needed to be welded up. There's enough room to space the 5-lug hole pattern between the other lug bolt holes without overlapping the bolt patterns. Old Chevy rear axle flanges are harder than woodpecker lips, so some annealing to get the pilot holes drilled is sometimes a necessity.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!