I called Novak conversions & I explained my problem & that my rebuild kit did not come from them. They said no problem & helped me out. The salesman transferred me to a rebuild mechanic named Jeff , he watched the video & said he would check with another builder & call me back. He called back & said they have seen 1st gears with 1 ring but never 2. The rubber does belong in the groove & they believe the rings are for reducing chatter between the gear & main shaft. As far as orientation he said the single rings have 4 teeth & they are are set on the ring with 2 @ 12 o'clock & 2 @ 6. So that's how I installed the 2 rings in mine. As far as install I just took my time & worked the ring into the groove & slowly tapped the gear on the main shaft with a plastic hammer. Jeff spent at least 40 minutes on the phone with me & answered other questions for me as well. I have another 420 to rebuild & will definitely get all my parts from them.Novak SM420 link See ya! Mark


1955 Chevrolet 6100 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
"A good mechanic doesn't know everything, but he can figure out anything". ~ --My DAD
1955 Chevrolet 6100 Wrecker Video
1955 Chevy 6100 Wrecker Update Video