1953 3800 Flat Bed Dually

So, I'm doing a 14 bolt swap and I'm at the point where I would set the pinion angle and weld it up. But, I'm also going to be swapping in a 250 I-6 in place of the 216 and keeping the SM420 4 spd. When I do the engine swap, I'll be removing the '53 crossmember under the engine and swapping in a '54 crossmember and a 60's truck bellhousing so the rear engine mounts will be a bolt in. The front (side) engine mounts will will likely be the tubular crossmember mount offered in many places.

That being said, I was thinking it may be wise to just bolt the rearend up (not super tight) and leave the pinion angle setting and the welding until after the engine is in place and done.

Agree?
Disagree?

The 3800 has 2 drive shafts and a center bearing, so if the trans angle changes, I may have to adjust the center bearing "height", for lack of a better word, to get the drive angles correct. I would think welding in the rearend might not be wise just yet.

I am using this document for reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btgxn9qt992vx3x/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF?dl=0

Specifically, the section on "Multiple Shaft Installations".

Larry W.



1953 3800 Dually Flatbed