I spent this morning installing the oil pan gaskets on the 59 235. I got both gasket sets in from RockAuto. One was the FelPro set, the other Victor Reinz. Just so you all know, they are exactly the same. Both are cork sides with rubber ends. Both rubber end sets were identical and so were the cork sides. No need to go with the $10 set when the $4 set is the same. Even the pliability is the same. Thickness, material used, everything is exactly the same.

I cleaned the gasket surfaces with lacquer thinner really well, then rubbed a coating of gasket sealer on the engine side, installed the gaskets, then to make sure I didn't have problems getting the pan back off tomorrow, I wiped the residue off the gaskets on the pan side, then tightened down every bolt only hand tight. I used a 6 inch socket extension and turned until I couldn't turn anymore without the handle. I felt this would be all the pressure necessary to remove air pockets and get a good seal.

Tomorrow I will remove the pan and seal the pan side really well. Upside down is alot harder to do this than when the engine is turned right side up. But it IS doable on a 1954 pickup frame without too much trouble. I think this slower and more careful method will result in a better seal. Time will tell.

Went without a hitch. Tomorrow I will refill the engine with new oil and hopefully that is the end of the story. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Deve; 02/12/2016 7:22 PM. Reason: Last Para

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet