I finally got all the pieces in to replace my windshield, and windshield frame. The old frame might be salvageable but about half of it would have to be new metal mated to the remainder of the old metal that is still in serviceable shape. So with everything that came in, (I've been waiting for several months), I was able to build a drop in replacement. I had the local glass guy assemble it, and he even put in the rubber around the outside of the new frame. Took off the old and swapped in the new frame this evening in the barn. Have everything together, but will need to do some tweaking tomorrow when the sun comes out to get it finished. I think the replacement screw I used to secure the bottom of the windshield to the crank out strap is just a hair too long and might be rubbing up on the dash as everything closes up. I also don't like the reproduction bracket to adapt the strap to the windshield frame, its too soft and the shape isn't quite right. I'm hoping tomorrow to salvage the old bracket now that I can get a little more aggressive on the stuck screws since its out and accessible.

Since I was in there, I broke down and replaced the windshield crank out assembly with a rebuilt unit and sent my old one back in as a core. The old one sort of worked, but would jam before opening about 1/4 of the way as the shaft had worn into the housing. The new one works great and I'll be picking grasshoppers from my teeth the next time I drive haha!

Its going to be great driving with a nice clear glass that isn't cracked all over for a change. In daylight the old glass wasn't too bad on the drivers side, but had several cracks that were slowly growing...the passenger side was pretty well a disaster as it has been cracked so long several big sections had delaminated and were clouded. I'm also betting that the annoying tendency of headlights scattering in the old glass making driving at night about like shining a flashlight on a frosted bathroom window is now gone as well. I don't drive much after dark, but when you have to it sure is nice to be able see basic things like the road when another car is approaching. I'll miss the nice factory glass labels with the May 1946 dates though...


1946 Chevy Pictures
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton. In family since new. Splash oiled 235, 4 speed main, 3 speed aux, single speed 6.17 rear. Original GM supplied 12' stake bed, paint on sideboards is still from the factory.
Ride Along Video!
Ride Along with a little load
Video Channel