I'd suggest that whoever wired this had no idea what he was doing. I'd also suggest finding someone who does know what he's doing to re-wire it.
I agree with Cletis, but try one more time. The truck does not know it ever had a generator. You have all the components shown in the diagram: you have a "Gen Light", you have a dashboard, an internally regulated alt, a starter solenoid and you do have a battery.
Just wire per diagram circuit in link. Ignore the regulator connector, as Cletis indicates , you never had that type regulator, but that does not matter. Just notice how the circuit flows. Forget note 5. Read and understand note 6. The diagram should have shown a line coming out of the box marked "To indicator light on dash" and going to IGN switch 'On".
FYI: Some diagrams show one side of bulb to "switch". The PO thought this meant he had to add a switch. The "switch" mentioned is the Ignition switch.
If you don't care about a light and you don't care about sensing, Note 6 provides a simplified hook up.