Tim- everything I'm about to post is completely coincidental as far as me having the HDPE material; my intention all along has been to go with wood; but, if anyone's interested:

Here is (believe me) an unintended fire test on HDPE 1/2" thick 'flame resistant' black material (I had a garage fire a couple of weeks ago; the moving pads that caught fire were laying on this sheet) Pictures

I left my Perry's ChemE handbook at work, but the only specs I know of this particular piece are HDPE, black, 0.5" thick, and it is the 'flame resistant' type. The thermo-plastic properties are why I had/acquired it.

IF someone a) decided to use this particular variety in their truck bed, and b) wanted to start a fire on it- I can 100% vouch for its 'flame resistant' properties. That, and the fact that it seems to show scratches fairly easy, is all I can add to the discussion. I literally had a huge fireball on top of the pictured piece. It did not melt everywhere. I am not recommending anything about this material, just posting pictures. The last picture I put a piece of stainless steel beside it to mimic a bed strip. Imagination required.

Brad

edit- Just looked at the linked supplier website- this would be an expensive material to use. Carl... you'll need to use water jets on that impact glass & it is a phenomenally heavy material.

Last edited by Uncle Brad; 08/21/2015 6:23 AM.

Wrench Fetcher, PhD