GMCpanel - yes they are welded. there's 3 pieces that spot together there - the top and side, w/ the gutter piece between and used for sealing the joint.
oly - re-read my previous post. the chassis receiving the cab is a 2ton+, if ya look at the rear springs and drums [looks 5ton IMO] - 1 and 1.5T would still have the gas tank inside I believe. also the cab is tilted because there's 3 guys reefing down on the front of it to fit the steering col, shift lever and hand brake thru the floor without damaging anything.
if the front clip were on, it would have another line attached at the hood latch to maintain a stable position and the steering col would be put in after the whole "cab assembly" was in place. on the panel, you'll notice that the body has a lift attachment at the back doors, so I doubt they "need" the front clip to balance anything. I'm sure the lift arangement in relation to "mass/weight distribution" of the cab and of the panel are not accidental, but very well planned.
I'm still waiting for someone to come up w/ pics showing any light truck being "pieced together" on the finished chassis.
Bill