I like kerosene or diesel (about 1/4-1/2 cup) in cylinders.
After setting in a day then a nice slow and easy hand turn of engine 2-3 times (covers off to see the rockers) around to make sure all is moving and no stops. Hand first time, no starter to slam things together.
Just few weeks back I did a 25 year frozen 216 that did not turn at all. After setting a few days with the diesel. I made it about 3/4 around before it stopped hard forward. It backs up about 3/4 and stops that way also. To bad it has a bad part in it some where.

As stated the drill to pump oil before starter cranking is great.
And as stated the use of a small spot of gas to see if it fires (before rebuilding carb) is the right step in the process.

Last I add a cup of mothers milk (cutting fluid) into the water pump/radiator before first start up.

Last edited by 48X3600; 05/27/2015 7:30 PM.

Baking in the nice desert sun, breathing life back into a 48 3800 5 window.