So, what I'm hearing is to set them at 12&20 cold.Then after I get her fired up again bring her up to temp and reset at 12 & 20 while the engine is warm.
Thanks for the replies,I don't think I've ever adj. valves with this much slop? I'm more of a shim under bucket kinda guy.
Why set the valves twice when you can plan ahead and have a chance at adjusting them once?
.012 In and .020 Ex is for an engines that are subjected to heavy duty operation such as "log hauling in swamp country, tractor work, etc" taken from the Chevrolet manual.
Normal valve clearance for a hot engine is
.006" - .008" In
.013" - .015" Ex
The manual says cold valve clearance can decrease by up to .005" when the engine fully warmed up.
Makes sense that if when cold the In valve is adjusted to .011" then the engine is allowed to reach proper temperature the clearance should then be some where between .006" - .008".
Same for the Ex valve. Start with .o18" for a cold engine and you should be in the .013" - .015" range.