I have always taken the engine out by itself, removing everything behind it. I did that back in the day because I didnt know a book somewhere suggested differently. With the head off, all the back parts gone, it comes out without even taking the hood off.

I know why they did it here in Kansas. I have talked to many previous owners. It was to slide the radiator in between the mount channels to move it forward enough to get the newer engine in.

It was Pre68Dave who really showed me how to prevent that many many years later. The water pump you need runs about $130. Its a 53/54 216 water pump and uses the 216 fan. This short style pump is compatible with Daves water pump adapter plate.

So many people do not realize your newer style 235/261's fan is not centered (not even close) on the center of the radiator. If you look at a 216 you will see that style had the fan centered. It has caused many reports of cooling problems, thus the need for an adapter plate. Others have reported no problems at all.

If your truck is your pride and joy, save up for the correct parts and you will be very glad you did. The fan is no longer so close to the radiator, the fan is in the center so cooling is optimal, and your brackets and frame supports are not all hacked up.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet