Be careful not to pinch or kink the tube from the engine to the temp gauge. Once the liquid inside escapes, the gauge will not work. There's a way to replace the sensor bulb with one from an aftermarket gauge, but it involves some pretty tricky cooling of the sensor bulb with dry ice and alcohol and some quick, accurate soldering to attach the new tubing and sensor bulb. I've got an original temp gauge head with a missing sensor bulb stashed away that I'm planning to do that with just to see if I can do it. If so, and it works right, I might start offering the service to forum members who have non-working temp gauges.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!