Hy Tony Soprano, am I to assume these questions are about a 1948 Chevy 1/-Ton (whatever that is), oh I see I went to the Stovebolt Gallery and it is a 1/2 ton you are asking about. The clutch pedal should have at least 3/4" freeplay before it actually starts to depress the pressure plate. As a clutch disc wears freeplay decreases, so when you notice your freeplay is going away or gone it's time to adjust your clutch linkage. Another thing that can happen on high mileage transmissions, the input shaft can develop a step or ledge that tends to keep the clutch disc close to the flywheel even when the clutch pedal is depressed, this can cause the transmission gears to keep turning longer than you would think they should. As to the starter I would replace it now before it lets you down, I wouldn't start the job until I had the rebuilt unit in my hands, unless of course you are going to take it to a local shop for a rebuild and don't mind the downtime. Hope that helps.