I use a GM HEI distributor in everything. The things will go so long with no care that the advance weights will wear through the pivot pins and you can buy parts from any parts store. The plugs are gapped 0.045 on modern high compression engines but I gap mine at 0.060 on my old 6.5-1 compression engines and get a super big hot spark. Flooding, percolation, and hot start problems disappear. For my 37 Buick I used an Oldsmobile case turned down 0.060 and a Chevy shaft that was shortened and the oil pump drive tang milled on at the correct distance. I then run it on the Sun Distributor machine and use the weights and springs it takes to mimic the advance curve of the old straight 8 distributor. As you can see by the dirt and mis-matched wires it's been going for a long time. I might look under the cap in 5 years or so.

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/coilover/media/Dar%20Dog%20HEI%20003_1.jpg.html

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/coilover/media/Dar%20Dog%20HEI%20002.jpg.html


Evan