Interesting question... makes you think a little. For me I just like old trucks so working and driving them both hold appeal... but for different reasons
I love to work in the garage.. for me its a sort of therapy ... a place to get away and drown out everything for a short while. In addition I get a lot of satisfaction taking something that was broke and forgotten and bringing it back to life. Quality and detail are to my standards, schedules are what I say, costs are what I am willing to pay.. good kharma
At the same time I also love to drive the trucks... sort of the ultimate test of the work you did in the garage. No one to blame or complain to except myself if the truck doesn't drive right or breaks down. I also like the feeling when driving...life seems to slow down when you're behind the wheel ( lol.. maybe that's just me as my 1 ton cruises at about 45 mph!)I also like the people I meet while driving... it seems these old truck are an instant conversation piece and I get lots of smiles and thumbs up when I drive.
this last weekend I put approx. 150 miles on the 1 ton trying to get some road miles on the truck and shake out any problems... the goal is to drive the 1 ton from Kansas City area to Montana the coming fall... at 45 mph it will take a few days but definitely doable.. build them...drive them... all part of the fun
Overall working on and driving these old trucks has been a positive influence in my life ...
Well written, I agree with you 100%
Paul