OK guys, I'm having trouble running down a problem and am tired of pounding my head against the fenders trying to figure it out. I have a '52 3100 with a rebuilt 235 with less than 500 miles on it. I added the Fenton dual intake and two Rochester B's. Everything was running great. I went out of town for a couple of weeks, got in and drove it down the road to find it with little power and backfiring (mostly through the exhaust but every once in a while through the front carb). Everything seems fine at idle. I checked the timing- it's fine. I sprayed starting fluid along the vacuum line from the distributor to the carbs. I sprayed all around the rear carb gaskets and even into the throat and there was no change to idle. I sprayed into the front carb throat and idle reduced slightly. I sprayed all around the front carb gaskets and idle dwindled to nothing and it shut down and wouldn't immediately restart. Here's what has me stumped. If there was a vacuum leak at the base of the front carb, wouldn't the engine still run off the rear carb even when the starting fluid was sprayed at the front? Any wisdom you guys could share would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by SmallBlockHead; 03/10/2015 2:08 AM.