Hucks are notorious for sponginess from being adjusted too loose.
Another variable in the mix is an inevitable mismatch in radius between the shoes and the drum when either or both are changed/turned.
I have found that when you change to new shoes, and have the drums turned, you need to run the brakes on the tight side until the shoes wear a bit until the contour of the shoes becomes worn a bit until they match the contour of the drum.
After driving a while I have noticed that as the shoes wear into shape, the braking action improves. After 100 miles, I then re-adjust the brakes as mentioned in the manual. After all of this, my brakes are as good and reliable as any brakes out there. Keep in mind that Huck brakes are not self-adjusting like Bendix brakes, and therefore require periodic adjustment. You will know when its time, from observing the brake pedal being closer to the toe board when braking.
Carl