I do know I drove my truck with the original intake/exhaust for probably 20 years with a non-functioning heat valve. (I didn't even know it existed) Not a problem even at 10 below zero. The aluminum intake on the other hand ran OK till the outside air temp got down to around 40° or so then it needed heat. With out it the intake was very cold, but with heat, (I used water) it makes all the difference in the world. It starts well, idles well, there is a bit of hesitation till it gets up to temp, but that is probably me needing to do some fine tuning on the carburetors as much as anything else. You won't get INSTANT heat no matter which way you heat it. The exhaust would be quicker, but at least on my truck, it runs just fine with water heat. And I will never have to worry about OVERheating the intake. It is all up to you. Both ways have been used, there are pros and cons to each method.